From:
Jenny Kinsella <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 03:58:20 0500
Hi.  This is my first post, though i've been visiting for a while.  I'll try
to be brief.  I first became a ferret owner/addict in May'95.  I purchased
my first at a pet store, a MF albino male.  In Aug'95 I purchased my second,
Peppi, a MF female (blaze patterned champagne colored).  Sadly, my first
ferret, Bebop passed in Dec., of causes that I still don't know.(a long sad
affair with an uninformed vet).  On Dec. 28th, I purchased my 2 sons, Bandit
and Thornton, both MF males.  Bandit is a white footed sable.  Thorton is
wierd to say the least.  He's a white footed...sable?  His head is HUGE!
He's not a distinctive sable like Bandit.  His head is white/tan, and he has
a golden coat with brown guard hairs, but his legs are a much darker brown.
He's the youngest, I suspect because he & Bandit were purchased together,
and his teeth were barely developed and he was smaller than Bandit.  Not so
today.  He's a bull dog headed monster, the KING of the apartment!  Although
Bandit is definately the most popular amongst the human visitors!

Any ways, I have two questions for anyone who might know.  The first is in
regards to distemper vaccination.  I have found a vet, (the ONLY vet in my
area) who is listed w/STAR.  I have been a bad mom, and my ferrets have not
received any vaccinations, other than the ones they recieved from Marshall
Farms.  I know that I should've had them vaccinated at 9,12&16 weeks.  This
week the younger two are coming up on 3 months old, and Peppi will be 7
months.  I have not wanted to deal with a vet after what happened to my
Bebop, but I never want it to happen again, and I know they need the shots.
Any way, the vet I found uses Fervac-D.  He charges $20 per shot(probably
extra for the exam).  Anyways, I have heard many bad stories of ferrets
reactions to the vaccination.  I hope that someone can give me an idea what
to expect.  I was also wondering if its better to get them all shots
together, or on seperate days.  Am I risking causing my ferrets to become
very ill?  I was also hoping that anyone from the Cleve.  area would send me
some e-mail.  I dont know any one who owns a ferret here in Cleve., And
would enjoy talking to someone close by.

Well, Thanks in Advance...Jenny & the 3Musketeers