From:
Lana Garten - Northern Ohio Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:42:49 -0400
It's about time to get our carpet sharks their vaccinations (rabies and
distemper) but all the reports of reactions have gotten my slightly
worried.  So what I've been looking for is a compilation of information.
I'd like to use this not only for myself but for members of my group and
(hopefully) to hand out to vets also.  What I'm looking for is an overall,
start-to-finish "what to do" and "what not to do".  For example:

1.) Give the shots a week or two apart.
2.) Pre-medicate with an anti-histamine, Benedryl?  (Is this right?)
3.) Stay at vet for 1/2 hour following the shot.

Now here's where I get lost.  What if there is a reaction?  What should my
vet be ready to do?  Give epinephrine?  oxygen?  What else?

We'd all like to assume our vets know what to do in this situation, but
with a reaction that happens this quickly, well, better prepared than
sorry, right?  I'm not looking for anything exact, just guidelines.  I'd
like to make a short pamphlet to hand out but information I've managed to
acquire has been sketchy at best.

Does anyone have anything like this available or can you point me in the
direction of the info?  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Lana