From:
Sue Dastous <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 20:14:20 -0400
I have heard all four of my ferrets scream at one time or another.  The
first time was when Sammy encountered the cat.  He was only about 8 weeks
old at the time and my cat was about 7 years old.  The cat had never seen a
ferret before so she decided to smack Sammy on the head with her paw.  Well,
Sammy started screaming like he'd been mortally wounded!  I was afraid that
the cat had poked his eye out or something!!  But, when I picked him up he
seemed alright physically.  He was just scared.  This same cat has also
bonked my other three ferrets on the head when they were babies.  They all
screamed and ran away.  It must be the cat's way of welcoming the ferrets
into the household.  Right now, I try to keep the cats separated from the
ferrets.

I have two cats who are now 9 and 10 years old.  One of the cats, Taz, hates
the ferrets and avoids them at all costs.  The other cat, Brandy, seems
interested in getting to know them but she weighs 13 lbs and I'm a little
nervous about letting her play with them.  What if one of the ferrets bites
the cat and she gets mad and attacks the little guy?  Anybody got any
suggestions about introducing the ferrets to the cat?  Could they eventually
learn to play together?

Sue and the fuzzy four (Sammy, Tequila, Cinnamon, and Buddy)