From:
Susann Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 10:17:02 -0400
>From:    Ashley Rovere <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Quick Question: I have a ferret that I need to get from Houston to
>Boston...how can I fly with her? What airlines let you have a ferret
>in the cabin?

Ashley,

I flew from Louisiana to New York in March with a ferret rescued from
Jefferson Parish Animal Control (where 80 percent of the animals are
gassed!!). At the same time, Jenn Eckhardt brought back a little puppy
she rescued from another shelter in Louisiana. We flew Delta. I was
allowed to bring the ferret in the cabin for a $75 surcharge. The cage
size is VERY restrictive - 15 inches by 8 inches, not sure of the third
dimension but you can find it on the Delta website. It took trips to
three different pet stores in Baton Rouge and New Orleans to find the
proper size cage! Be aware, an ordinary, small size plastic carrier
will NOT be allowed. The one I used was hard-sided but it has small
metal bars and an opening on the top. (It also has ventilation openings
on the side.) You could use a small soft-sided carrier, but I thought
the hard carrier would be safer and easier to clean. It cost $30.

Jenn's little puppy ended up having to go in cargo because the carrier
was too large - and I think she paid $125 or thereabouts.

Delta only allows one animal per person in the cabin. I think there is
a limit of two animals total, per flight, in the cabin.

Susann Thiel

Ashley R