Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:34:28 -0800
Steve's book on gas saving tips is really interesting and full of
really neat ideas on how to save money to benefit the shelter. I must
say it never occurred to me to shift gears from drive to reverse while
coasting down a long, long hill. Since there is no mechanical, direct
coupling between the engine and the drive train through the automatic
transmission (coupling is by liquid energy transfer of transmission
fluid between the driving turbine blades and the driven blades) nothing
can get broken by suddenly shifting into reverse when cruising down a
long hill.

The gas saving isn't really great by doing this unless you repeat the
process as often as possible. Coasting by itself is a saving because
your foot is not depressing the gas pedal, so the engine is more or
less at idle speed. The increase is gas savings and applying the money
saved to meet the expenses of the shelter is done by going forwards in
reverse and thereby causing the engine to run in reverse too. Every
time you run the engine in reverse you run the fuel pump in reverse
also. Thus all the gasoline distributed in the fuel lines throughout
the car and within the carburetor chambers is sucked back into the gas
tank. As you can see from this example, one can save on gas costs and
at the same time reduce the carbon footprint (tireprint?) of the car by
its sucking back into the engine all the CO2 and harmful nitrous oxide
emissions normally produced by an internal combustion engine. A good
idea for clean air for the ferrets, yes?

Congratulations Steve. This idea sounds like a real winner. Only wished
I'd thought of it first.

But I do have a question for you. Why do you insist that I only try
this on April 1st?

Edward :Lipinski,
I walk a lot.

[Moderator's note: For those not understanding the significance of
April 1st: please don't try this :-)  BIG]