From:
Linda Frandsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:33:05 -0700
I have decided I had better write you about a female ferret.  I bought her
in September.  I have no history on her.  I do not know her age.  The people
who had her did not know anything about ferrets.  They were feeding her dog
food.  She weighed about 1/2 pound.  After one month I had her weight up to
1 pound and then her vulva swelled up.  We thought she was in heat.  I took
her to the vet he did surgery and thought he found an ovary that had been
left in her.  That was October 14 Freda (the ferret) still has a swollen
vulva more swollen than before surgery and she is losing her hair.  She has
no hair on her belly, some hair loss on shoulders back and tail.  I suspect
an adrenal disease now.  Freda has not had no water mucus discharge from the
vulva or any of the other clinical signs such as increased scratchin,
excessive drinking and urination, anemia, weight loss (she now weighs 1 1/2
pounds), and no difficulty in wsing the hind legs.  She is a very active
ferret playing with the other ferrets, running, and getting into mischief.
She is what people might call a hyperactive child.  I would appreciate any
help in the diagnosis wether I am right wrong or what ever else the problem
could be.  Thankyou.

Linda Frandsen
(208) 356-4635