From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 13:30:56 -0500
>Also included in the implicated items (Some are well documented, others
>less so.) are PCBs, DES (which had been more widely prescribed -- even for
>acne back when -- than I ever guessed), dioxins, furans, and, of course,
>certain plastics and additives to plastics (as well as to other products
>such as some toiletries) such as: alkylphenols, and bisphenol-A.

It seems like a good idea to avoid anything that has been implicated in
carcinogenesis.  However, did you know that alfalfa sprouts and char-grilled
meat both contain known carcinogens?  It may well be impossible for us to
reduce the risk from exposure to certain chemicals to a level much below
what the average person gets.  However, yes, PCBs, and just about any
organic chemical are bad for you.  Our exposure in the US from global
redistribution by winds, etc.  does not disturb me nearly as much as the
exposure certain groups of people, and certain countries get where these
things are not well regulated.  On a side not, not really relevant here...
BOYCOTT GRAPES!  BOYCOTT GRAPES!  ...okay, I'm done, keep reading.

>Never assume that natural means safe and unnatural means unsafe; it's not
>so simple.

This is a really excellent point.  In spite of environmental toxins produced
by man and general pollution, we now live healthier and longer than human
beings ever have.  There's nothing natural about most of the life-saving
medications we use.

Sorry, I don't have enough medical background to comment on the hormonal and
dietary questions.  Please remember that ferrets aren't people, and their
physiologies are much much much less vigorously researched than human.
Thus, it is difficult to extend human health information to apply to
mustelids.

You'll all be happy to know that we solved the tub pooping problem.
*sheepish look*  We put a litterbox in it.

-Catherine