From:
Mary Baum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:11:55 -0400
My family's circumstances prevented us from having family pets when my
brother and I were children.  I have loved animals as long as I can
remember.  My grandmother had a farm so we were exposed to farm animals
and barn cats when we visited.  I wanted a cat so badly that I pestered
my mother constantly about having a cat.

One thing that I find that I have in common with animal lovers I know is
that my parents read us many children's stories about animals when we
were very young.  I remember a story about millions of cats.  I thought
that must be heaven.  I wonder if children's animal stories help to make
people animal lovers.  When I was in grade school my school's librarian
tried to interest me in stories about people but I was not interested.
I only read animal stories like "Lad, a Dog." As an adult, I found my
first ferret living in a hole under a stone step in front of our house.
She had been abandoned and was finding dog kibble next door.  I adopted
her and started to learn about ferrets at the library and on the
Internet.  I have had several ferrets over the past 15 years and many
cats during my adult life.

Mary Baum