From:
"Williams, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 09:31:22 -0500
Dear Donna:

>The other day one of my ferrets developed a red spot on her belly.  I had
>take this little girl to see the vet about something else while there I
>had the vet take a look and she told me it looked like the beginning of a
>mass cell tumor, not to worry.  It has been less than a week and now this
>little spot has grown and it looks like a little pimple in the middle.
>Is it normal for this thing to develop so quickly, or should I have this
>very ferret knowledgeable vet look into this a little closer.

Mast cell tumors are common benign skin tumors in ferrets.  Assuming that
this very ferret-knowledgeable vet is correct in her assessment, then the
thing to do is have it removed.  Don't worry in that it may be malignant,
but it should be removed, as mast cell tumors do not spontaneously regress,
often ulcerate, and may serve as portals for infection until removed.

Do you have to run out tomorrow to do it - no.  It's not an emergency, but
she should have it removed at your first convenience.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM