From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 02:07:29 +1000
Sorry guys, but I have to say..

As an Australian ferret owner, we also have several states which do not
allow ferrets AT ALL.

Similar to California.. and I too was hanging out waiting to see the
results of SB 89, as it could have helped us Australians in our struggle
for ferret freedoms.

However, not being familiar with American state laws ( so please
excuse me) I still must admit that I believe Arnie was correct in his
decision... (man..  I am so glad I live in another country when I say
that <grin> I don't wanna be lynched... LOL)

But, I think that, his statement that an appropriate report was not
tabled is probably quite correct..  and, as I have been following this
with our (Australian) ferret rights in mind, I was completely surprised
to find that the bill did not have such a study behind it ?  or am I
wrong..

sorry , I am not nay-saying it, just really wanting to know what went
wrong, as we over here suffer a similar circumstance.

I can imagine that there were all sorts of "issues" like rabies, or the
impact on local environments should they go feral, etc etc,

But as we do not have rabies in Australia, nor can ferrets survive in the
wild down here, then I would like to know more about the issues involved,
ie: what would an environmental study need to proove ??

However, I do understand why some of our (Australian) state laws forbid
Ferrets.

Australian wildlife and it's environments have been decimated since the
advent of the Europeans, simply by the introduction of imported wildlife,
like Rabbits, foxes, the domesticated cat (gone feral), feral pigs,
camels..  etc etc etc, not to mention the impact of the many many
introduced plants.  sometimes introduced for simple dumb reasons like
"nice gardens"

so, I can quite imagine, that an environmental impact study on the
introduction of ferrets would have enormous impact on the legalization.

The states in Australia that disallow ferrets, don't particularly point
them out as illegal, they simply state that "ANY animal not already
declared a domestic species, or native wildlife, are illegal" .

ie: it is a protective thing, and those that wish to introduce some
new species, need to proove that it will have no impact on local
wildlife/environments etc

We still do have new animals introduced all the time, provided
appropriate impact studies have been done..  like Llama's from south
America, and Ostriches form Africa, deer, etc etc

so, in summary, yes, I am disappointed too, but I believe ( not knowing
all the facts) that Arnie was correct in saying that, without a proper
study, he couldn't do anything.... and as far as that goes, most people
would have to agree.

I am sure if a scientific study was compiled that "allowed" him to OK the
SB89 bill, and furthermore then allowed him to OK laws more to allow free
ownership of ferrets, then I am sure he would..

He did state "I love ferrets." he wouldn't have said that if it was
politically unsound... he simply said, without an appropriate study he
had no grounds on which to change state laws..

Yes, it is a sad day for ferret owners, but I believe we should consider
the issues with fairness, and hope that this bill, at least raised the
"issue" and prooved that there was a need for a "study" into ferrets and
the impact they may or may not have.

Darrin

PS: yes I am aware of all the studies prooving that ferrets cannot
survive in the wild...we all know this..  BUT, has it been "officially"
documented in California as such ?... I hope so..