From:
Shirley Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 08:52:31 -0800
Dear FML,

I hope someone can help me with this problem.  Slick had surgery for a
right adrenal tumor over a month ago.  The mass was malignant but well
contained.  Nevertheless, this was a much more invasive surgery than we
had expected.  After two weeks of round-the-clock meds and duck soup,
he began to grow a lush new coat and frolic as usual.  His very
knowledgeable vet pronounces him back in good health.  However, he will
NOT eat his kibble.

This was a ferret who came to be underweight and scruffy looking, having
been on a diet of cheap cat food for his entire five years of life.  He
has never been particular about his food and seemed to thrive on the mix
of Totally Ferret and Path Valley that all of my ferrets eat and are
still eating with no ill effects.

I have tried every tactic I can think of.  Softened kibble, crumbled
kibble, softened crumbled kibble in duck soup and/or ferretone, kibble
crumbled with favorite treats, raisins wrapped around a tiny piece of
kibble and probably some other things that a I have forgotten.  He can
extract the parts he likes and leave kibble lumps all over the place.
The only thing that has been a partial success is raisins and kibble
thoroughly smashed together.  He has lost weight but is still in an OK
range.  I know he is not eating enough because his poops, although normal
looking, are quite small for him.

Does anyone have any experience that would help me get this guy eating
normally again?  Email me privately or post on the list as I read it
every day.

Shirley