From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 19:03:36 EST
I was very saddened to read about Toons.  I also had a bad experience
with a ferret in a hot car, but I was very lucky and he survived.

Several years ago I was driving though Connecticut in the summer, no
a.c., windows rolled down.  It was very hot and we got stuck in traffic.
Luckily I looked back to see how Mr. Fuzzy Wuzzy was doing and I could
tell there was something wrong--he was panting and was laying very still.
I didn't know if ferrets were legal in Connecticut, and since it was
Sunday, I didn't think I would be able to find a vet.  Luckily I could
get off the highway, and sat in the shade with him, putting a damp towel
on him, and getting him to drink water.  Then I waited a few hours till
the sun went down before I started up again.

It was very frightening, and I don't travel *anywhere* in the summer
with ferrets anymore unless it's at night --they are *extremely*
sensitive to heat, and it does not take long for them to overheat,
especially in a car.  I would also be very concerned about sending
ferrets by plane for this reason, unless they can travel in the cabin
with you.  Too many horror stories about animals in unpressurized
cabins that are also too hot or cold--I would really check with the
airline to find out exactly how they will be traveling.

--Ronnie
Cinderella ("how come we're illegal?")
Norm ("raisins aren't illegal, are they?")
Ralph ("don't worry, be happy")