From:
Denise Autry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:13:58 -0800
Okay, before everyone gets their panties in much MORE of a bunch about
this, let's stop and think for a moment what we're talking about.

Dictionary.com lists the following definition for shelter:
1. a.Something that provides cover or protection, as from the weather.
   b. A refuge; a haven.
   c. An establishment that provides temporary housing for homeless
      people.
2. The state of being covered or protected.

And the following for sanctuary:
1 & 2 relate to religious bits, so we'll just post these:
3. A place of refuge or asylum.
4. A reserved area in which birds and other animals, especially wild
   animals, are protected from hunting or molestation.

What I hear most people refer to as a "shelter" is an agency that adopts
out animals.  Any "sancutary" that I've ever heard of does not adopt out
animals.  There's a big cat sanctuary near Terre Haute, IN.  It's a place
that takes care of retired circus cats, peoples cats, and the occassional
other large cat that comes to them (I remember seeing a cougar there the
last time I'd stopped by.)

I don't know why some ferrets are considered unadoptable.  I can think
of some very valid reasons.  I can also understand why some people would
choose not to adopt - see the reasons in Sandi's post.  I'm guessing that
is why some people prefer to be a sanctuary.  It's not anything I could
do.  It takes a lot of work, I'm sure.  And most of it, no one will ever
see.  Just like a shelter.  But, a word of caution - I personally think
that sanctuaries need to be watched more closely than a shelter.  "No one
ever goes in; no one ever comes out." Shelters have potential adopters
coming in, hopefully, rather regularly.  Maybe not the same people, but
there are people coming and going none the less.  A sanctuary doesn't
have the potential adopters.  And that's fine.  They've made that choice.
But someone needs to stop by.  Jen Morrison ran a "sanctuary" didn't she?
I'm not saying that all sanctuary operators are collectors.  In fact, I'm
not really sure what I'm trying to say at this point, because I'm so busy
trying to put on flame retardent pants.  So lets back up and examine the
points I was trying to make...

1. There is a difference between "shelter" and "sanctuary" by definition.

2. Both should be watched by those in their communities, but sanctuaries
   have a greater potential for dangerous situations.

Okay.  I'm steping off the soapbox now.

Dooks and Dances
Denise Autry