Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:58:02 -0400
I know this subject has been debated to "death" but I just wanted to
comment on one interesting observation.  Isn't it ironic that in the post
about the informal survey sent by Lisette, that all of those surveyed who
were not ferret lovers found the Modern Ferret centerfold objectionable and
many ferret lovers on this list found it funny?

Personally I found it to be in bad taste, and feel it sad that people can
find humor in gore (especially the ferret in the meat-grinder).  I feel
this kind of depiction is highly disrespectful to those dear fuzzies and
all animals who have suffered abuse and violent ends.  When I saw it, it
brought back memories of the poor ferret in Brookline who died in an oven.
How can we fight abuse and at the same time condone such photographs, even
if they were intended to only be in "fun"?  I find it extremely
hypocritical.  I think that the majority of the posts I have seen so far
reflect the fact that our society has become very desensitized to violence
and this is so disheartening.

However, I cannot condone the boycotting of Modern Ferret, but hope that
others who feel the same way I do will share their disappointment with
Modern Ferret so perhaps they can show better judgement in the future.

Kathy