From:
Cheryl Nordgulen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 10:58:20 -0800
Hi Everyone,
Three new ferrets have entered the shelter here in Western Washington.
They are current on their shots, and our happy, healthy, and 1.5 years
old.  One male is dark sable, one male is the color of beach sand, with a
few dark guard hairs on his tail and he is very, very smart.  The little
female is a dark sable.  All have very sweet temperaments and are litter
pan and paper broke.

-  To avoid unnecessary calls I'll repost my requirements:
-  No children under the age of 12 in the house.  Absolute.
-  Adoption fee is $75.00
- Potential adopters must have two references, one from their veterinarian
  and one from someone who knows them very well.
- Potential adopters must be knowledgeable about ferrets.  If they are not,
  they must get a book and read up on ferrets and ferret keeping.
- A contract has to be signed and they have to agree to bring the ferrets
  back to the Critterpen if for any reason they can't have them.
- They have to promise to give a donation to Animal Services of Thurston
  County, to help them in their good work.

Yes, I am very strict.  These little ones have gone through enough trauma,
losing their homes, and there just was a post about ferrets who died while
their owner was on vacation.

I had that happen here years ago, before I started sheltering.  The ferret
had insulinoma, unbeknownst to the owners, and they had given me strict
orders that he wasn't to be taken to the vet for any reason.  He didn't
eat, wouldn't eat, and went into low blood sugar coma.  He died screaming.

Nowadays when I take in a boarder or two, they also have to sign a
contract, stating that they will pay for any needed veterinary care, as
well as provide the ferret's food, litter and etcs.

As I said before, these three are uncommonly lovable fuzzbutts who have
been well cared for.  They are very, very lively, and they moved right in
with the resident ferrets with little or no squawking (how I wish I would
be able to use that word in Scrabble someday).  Freddie Poo has come out
of his mourning the passing of his two girls to play with these dancing
wackos.  They deserve the best I can get for them.  As a very small
shelter, I can afford to be a bit picky.

I am listed in Critters and in Ferrets, but in case someone is lurking,
my phone number is 360-943-6116, in Olympia, WA.

Cheryl of the Critterpen
Ferrets Rule