From:
Melissa Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:19:01 -0600
Yes, ferrets definitely fit the description of a packrat.  However, someone
can correct me if I am wrong, I believe a packrat is actually a real name
for a type of rat.  The rat finds things appealing to it, such as shiny
buttons as such, and takes them back to its burrow.  It also has the
unusual habit of "replacing" whatever it takes with something from its
stash.  I guess something less appealing to it than the "new" item.

I remember watching the Discovery Channel and seeing the 'packrat' on an
animal special.  I don't think its techincal name was packrat, and I can't
remember where it is found. It has been a few years at least since I saw
the show.  But this rat is no doubt where the packrat term came from.
Anyway, I just couldn't resist answering the question.

Yoda seems to enjoy playing packrat when he finds a sock.  I found his
"stash" the other day.  No wonder I had to resort to wearing my husband's
socks. Yoda had them all well hidden. Ah well, as long as I don't have to
start wearing Mark's undies I guess we'll be okay:-)

Melissa Warren and her three muskyteers