From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:28:03 -0500
Every January 31st I send Thank You letters to everyone who has donated
$5 or more to S.O.S. during the previous year.  The IRS requires us to
send receipts to anyone who has donated more than $250 but we prefer to
thank everyone.  If you all weren't so generous so often, we'd send thank
you's every time, but that's beyond this volunteer workforce (i.e., me).

This year, for the first time, I'm really late.  I was working on a large
editing project that was supposed to be done January 3, which would have
left plenty of time, but the people kept making changes, the printer
messed up the proof copy, etc., etc.  I just finished the last (I hope!)
changes last week.  I felt bad enough about barely noticing the holidays
because of the job, but now I feel downright guilty.

As I'm sure you know, the IRS doesn't want copies of your receipts.
But people who itemize need them (and so does S.O.S.) in case the IRS
audits you after tax time.  For now they only want you to tell them how
much you gave.

If this is a problem for anyone for any reason, please email me and I
will send you a letter immediately.  Everyone else should receive their
letters by the end of February.  I print the entire batch after merging
the 2004 database with the letters.  Until then, I don't have the totals
and details, but I can find them if there is an urgent need.

I feel like I've spent the past 4 months apologizing to everyone except
the people whose manual I was editing.  It shouldn't be that hard to
apologize to all of you, too.... I just hate not doing a job well,
especially for people who have given so freely to help the shelters.

Blessings,
Judith
--

~~~~~ Support Our Shelters ~~~~~