From:
Susie Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:35:36 -0500
>From:    Dave Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet charges
>Any opinions on skipping the rabies vac for ferrets?  In WI, if a ferret
>bites and animal control is notified, the ferret is uthanized and tested
>for rabies, regardless of shot history.  So is there any point to getting
>the rabies shot at all?  If they don't actually escape the house, what are
>the chances they could contract rabies?  (On the other hand, it is possible
>for them to escape, I suppose, no matter how careful we are.)

Sherri,

I am a few days behind again, so if this has already been addressed by
others, I apologize.

This is the same mentality that we are trying to stop.  Florida is a kill
and test state for ferrets involved in bite/scratch incidents also.
Unfortunately, many people feel that since having their ferret vaccinated is
not going to protect them from being killed by Health Officials, they then
mistakenly conclude they shouldn't bother to have their pet vaccinated.

What these people fail to realize is that they are also not protecting
themselves against the possibility of a rabid ferret. While most ferrets do
not ever get outside, I personally have a couple that try their *damnest*
to escape. One has even lived outside on his own two times for three days
each!

The point I am trying to make is that accidents do happen and ferrets can
get out.  Are you willing to risk yourself, your family, and your ferret to
the possibility of being infected with rabies?

Last summer, Florida documented its first rabid ferret in Canaveral Groves.
This ferret, Beasley, was not given his yearly rabies vaccinations as it
wouldn't protect him from the State in bite incidents.  Beasley was allowed
free roam on the ranch he lived on and when biten by a rabid animal, Beasley
became infected with rabies.  Not only did *this* ferret needlessly die, but
his cage mate, Tippy, was killed for testing.  Tippy's test result was
negative.  In addition, several people had to undergo the post exposure
rabies shot series and the veterinarian's office had to update their
boosters.

Had the owner vaccinated the ferret, the two ferrets would still be alive
and the State could have saved almost $4,000 - $125 testing fee per ferret
plus $1,200 per person for the post exposure rabies series.  (I am unable to
verify the cost for rabies post exposure treatment at this moment, but I
believe this is the correct amount.  Please correct me if I am wrong.) This
does not include the administrative costs of Animal Control or the prep fees
for preparing the ferrets' heads or shipping costs of the heads to
Jacksonville and then Atlanta.

So, please, even if your state doesn't recognize the Imrab3 rabies
vaccination, vaccinate anyhow.  Just the fact that your ferret's
vaccinations are current may be enough to persuade someone from calling
Animal Control on your ferret.  Keep in mind also that if the person
reporting the bite cannot identify the ferret that bit him, Animal Control
has the power to remove *all* your ferrets for testing!

Protect your self and your babies! Vaccinate them for distemper and rabies
as suggested by the Compendium!

Happy ferreting!

Susie Sherman