Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:29:16 +0000
A few weeks ago, at the end of October, Drs. Charlie Weiss and Michael
Treitler operated on 18 ferrets at the Cedarwood Veterinary Clinic in
Santa Fe, New Mexico.  That's a lot of ferret surgeries for this part of
the country.  Dr. Weiss demonstrated cryosurgery for adrenalectomies as
well as other ferret surgeries such as partial pancreatectomies.  Drs.
Weiss and Treitler operated on ferrets from throughout the state of New
Mexico from about noon to 9 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 28, and resumed early
the following morning.

As far as I know, all the ferrets are doing well.  Some had bilateral
adrenal tumors in addition to pancreatic tumors, which Drs.  Weiss and
Treitler removed.  Dr. Treitler now has the equipment in his clinic to do
cryosurgery for adrenalectomies in ferrets.  To the best of my knowledge,
he is the only vet in New Mexico with the equipment and expertise to do so.

Dr. Weiss is available to conduct similar demonstrations elsewhere (many
thanks to Beth Comarow in the D.C. area for letting us know about this
in the first place).  During his visit, Dr. Weiss mentioned that he had
discussed similar demonstrations with veterinarians in Florida and New
York.  If other ferret owners and vets on this list are interested in
hosting Dr. Weiss, I recommend that you or your vet look up Dr. Weiss at
ferretdoctor.com on the Web and give him a call.

Lucky Charm had her second partial pancreatectomy during Dr. Weiss' visit.
Her first one was conducted only four months prior, suggesting that her
insulinoma was fairly aggressive.  The second tumor was bigger.  It took
her three days to recover to the point where she was up and about again.
However, there is no doubt that she has a lot more energy and spunk than
she had before the surgery and I can see that she feels much better.

Linda, Lucky Charm, Chocolate Moose, & Zipper