From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - FERRET BUSINESS of GA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 00:26:56 -0400
>From:    Tara P <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: I think Reece may be dying---because of me, HELP

Poor Tara.  What a terrible ordeal to have to go through.  I know, I've
been there too.

Only, my couch is much heavier than you are.  My little ones loved to get
inside, so we removed the finishing scrim underneath.  I would have to tip
the couch to get everyone out for bedtime.  I though I had an all-clear &
laid the couch on its back, started scooping ferret & putting them in their
cage for the night.  After everyone had been collected & I uprighted the
couch...there she was...my little girl...flat as a pancake, limp, lifeless.

I can still feel those overwhelming feelings of horror, desperation, &
guilt.  I must have been in shock, because I tried pushing her sides
together, as if she would puff back up into shape like a cartoon.  Luckily
I was coherent enough to jump in the car w/her & speed to the emergency
clinic w/out getting killed.  She began stirring w/life just before we
reached the clinic.  The duty vet explained to me that ferrets are very
much like kittens when it comes to being /squashed/ - they have an amazing
resiliency - & had ferrets been more like puppies, she probably wouldn't
have had a chance.  The vet just told me to keep an eye on her & bring her
in if I had any concerns.  She was playing & dancing the next day.  PHEW,
we had survived another near catastrophe.

If she's acting OK, she probably is.  Don't beat yourself up.  Be thankful
to learn a very important lesson without a tragedy.  You just can't be too
careful w/these little ones.

My heartfelt sympathy to all who have suffered a loss, & my best to all who
are dealing with the heartbreak of an ill fuzzy.

Juliana  (770) 984-1417 <[log in to unmask]>
FERRET BUSINESS of GA
(fer'it`biz'nis) n.  1 Ferret foster care & adoption.
2 Info about ferret care & ownership.   3 What a ferret does.
4 A collection of ferrets.              5 A direct result of ferret math.
/That's BUSINESS as in a bunch of ferrets folks./