From:
Maria L Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:51:51 +1200
Hi to all,
About 10 days ago my 6 month old girl supposedly came on heat for the first
time.  She was quite swollen and was desperately trying to get out of her
cage.  I took her to the vet and she had a delvosterone injection.  Within
24 hours we noticed the swelling had gone down considerably, but, it just
stopped there, like she was halfway between on and off heat.  I took her
back to the vet today and she apparently has an infection.  Now we don't
know if she was actually on heat at all, maybe it was infection that caused
the swelling!  She is on antibiotics for 10 days and then we will be
looking at speying her.  This is a shame as I did want to breed from her,
but, not from her first heat as she's only a baby herself!  What do I do?
Is it common for ferrets to get infections when on heat?  We are really
particular about cage cleanliness, and, I feel I have failed her as a
mother.  Also I have heard a rumour that a thermometer can be used to
imitate a male and should take her off heat.  Should I have tried that
instead of the injection?

Please, does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening to my
baby?  How long can she be on heat before it is a problem to her health?

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Thanking you in advance
Maria and Felicity