From:
Mellisa Eberle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 03:46:52 -0600
Okay....here are the details.  I am seeking advice on those that may have
previously dealt with similar health issues.  All ferrets have suffered a
bad flea infestation.  All have some degree of skin damage from the fleas
and/or chemicals.  To make matters worse, the regular care routine of
these ferrets involved flea sprays and powders, dry ferret "shampoos,"
flea wipes (ie.  alcohol pads), odor neutralizing sprays and powders,
etcetera.  I have LITERALLY a whole bag of stuff that was poured over
their skin.

Ferret 1 is a beautiful (guessing here - such unique coloring) silver
mitt female.  She is primarily white, with light gray on her legs and
tail, has a few outer hairs of gray mixed in with the white along her
back, and small outlines of gray spots above her eyes.  I have never seen
such long hair on a ferret, although she cannot be an angora - she came
from Path Valley.  She is currently being given antibiotics and topical
creams for a two wounds.  She has a small wound on her shoulder, mainly
superficial and not deep, but swollen a slight bit.  The other wound is a
scabbed over and slightly swollen, red "dot" right above her front teeth.
I estimate her age to be under 2 years.  She is very playful, energetic,
and loves people!

Ferret 2 is an albino female.  I estimate her age to be between 3 and
4 years.  She did not tolerate the fleas/chemicals too well, and has
scratched off some hair on her shoulders.  She has a bald spot right
between her shoulders, but it is obviously a result of the scratching.
Her skin in very dry, but she is doing much better after a bath and some
deep conditioning.  She is being treated with Panalog for the small
scratches she inflicted upon herself.  The tip of her tail is missing
just a little hair, not much.  Not adrenal, but seems to have a minor
case of rat tail.  There are numerous blackheads on the end of her tail
where the hair is thinning.  As soon as I can get some moisture back to
her skin, her tail will be shampooed with ChlorhexiDrem shampoo once or
twice weekly to clear up the blackheads.

Ferret 3 is a sable male.  He is a bit of a pitiful sight, but I couldn't
help but fall in love with him.  He is very overweight, actually obese
would be a better term.  He is elderly.  Bless his heart, he has some
major skin problems.  I am not quite sure what to think.  He is bald in
several spots.  Not the adrenal bald, where hair does not grow back, his
hair is regenerating.  I am still questioning if more going on that just
an allergy.  He has an overall hair loss, but it is medically difficult
to diagnose.  He has bald patches all over his BIG body.  His tail has a
couple of bald patches (looks like from biting it), his hind quarters
have hair, his upper back and shoulders have bald then thinning hair, and
too many scratch marks to count (which are being treated w/antibiotics
and topical creams).  His belly nearly bald.  As in NO hair.  The tummy
hair doesn't even seem to be regenerating.  His belly does drag the floor
(no, not tumor, just THAT fat), but it still would not effect the chest
area.  His skin is in such a bad condition, so dry.  His skin literally
flakes off in the bald/scratched areas.  When I pet him, it looks like
dandruff and his hair just falls out in my hand.  It is heart breaking.
He obviously itches horribly - he scratches and bites himself to no end.

I would greatly appreciate any other advice/opinions/thoughts/input of
others that have been faced with situation of a ferret with numerous
chemicals dumped over their skin after a flea allergy.  It is a challenge
to determine if his condition is caused by his current "care" or symptoms
of something worse.  I am just beating myself up trying to figure out
what is wrong with this ferret.  This one really pulled at my heart
strings.  All night, this one just really wanted to be held.  He is such
a lap ferret.  He climbed in my lap (actually it is difficult to get him
off your lap - he begs - persistently) and fell asleep with me petting
the side of his face.  He was so content on just having someone hold him.
Any input/advice his health situation would be most appreciated.

If anyone is interested in locally adopting these 3 ferrets, please email
me.  All are still being quarantined and require medical treatment.  Each
is up for adoption, although it may take me a little longer to get the
elderly fellow straightened out medically (if anyone would be interested
in such a lap buddy or companion to another elderly ferret).

Mellisa Eberle