From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 11:13:18 -0500
(1) I dont like to talk about MF specifically all the time because in the
"big farm" debate I think there name gets used generically alot which may be
somewhat unfair.  Path Valley, Hagen and other big farms out there are
probably all guilty of the same things.  However, I do not like any of their
practices and will not buy their products.
(2) All other issues aside, realize that your pets parents are living a life
in a cage 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week and being put down after they are worn
out from breeding every season.  Would you condone a pet owner doing that?
Ferret parents, if you will, are not a seperate breed of animal to be treated
differently, they are still companion pets being treated like a cash crop.
(3) Not condoning these practices is NOT an attack on your farm produced
pets! I don't think anyone would hesitate to take in a farm rescue or thinks
those ferrets are bad.  Why does everyone take this as a personal attack?
(4) We can't change the past and can do little about the present - but we
can try to do whatever we can about the future of these ferrets.

On a possibly related issue - someone recently posted about having a ferret
in Thailand where there is no appropriate food, medicine, ferret knowledge
or vet care.  I have seen several similar posts from Japan.  I wonder who is
marketing ferrets worldwide without regard to proper care infrastructure?
Whoever they are - IMHO its pretty darn irresponsible.  Bless the people of
FML and those who have put good info on the web or those ferrets would be
totally up a creek, as many probably still are because their humans dont
have computers.  As far as I can see your doing what should be part of their
job without a paycheck.

On a lighter note - does anyone else's ferrets seem to know when their
on-line and insist on playing at that particular time?  Boris and Giesela
seem to have some sort of ferret radar for when I'm connected.  I have to
stop and play and then reconnect because my server disconnects when there's
no activity.

Mary, Boris and Giesela