From:
Dan and Kathy Goodhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 12:15:25 EDT
Hi Ferret Folks!

This may be something, then again maybe not.  I need to hear from anyone
who has had a ferret whose white blood cell count has been super-elevated.

I have heard from many customers all over the country, as well as local
customers and Grand Canyon State Ferret Association members about ferrets
who had blood tests taken.  Some were sick, some were just getting their
anual check.  More than a few came back with white blood cell counts of
19000 or higher.  Repeated blood tests on many of these kids, even the sick
ones that "got better" show the same elevated white blood cell count.  The
strange thing is that, again, most of these kids ARE ACTING NORMAL.  Some
of these kids have been medicated for months in an attempt to bring the
white blood cell count down.

I have talked to my vets about this and they have no way of telling if this
is a laboratory anomolie (sp?) or a widespread infection that has not been
formally picked up in veterinary circles.

In doing business with ferret folks around the country who tell me simaler
stories, and experiencing this possible "anomolie" with one of our personal
fur kids, I would like to do some research and see if I am only blowing
smoke or if in fact there is something out there that must be addressed.

If you are responding to this post and are from Arizona, please find out
from your vet what lab ran the tests.  If in anyway possible, to anyone who
is showing simaler elevated white blood cell count, can I get a copy of
your lab results???  Please also describe any symptoms which lead you to
have the tests run, or if the results were determined from an annual check.
My address is listed below.  I will report all findings to anyone that
responds.

Please be advised that I am not a veterinarian.  I am only a worried ferret
mom and foster mom that wants to make sure that there isn't something
creeping up on my kids.  All data received will be turned over to both of my
veterinarians as well as some of the well known ferrets elsewhere in the
country.

My hope is that there is simply a problem at the laboratory level, but until
the right people are alerted, we will have no way of telling.

Thank you in advance to all respondents.

My luv to the fuzzies!

Kathy Goodhart
Goodhart's Little Buddies
PO Box 8128
Cave Creek, Az 85327
(602) 465-9887

5-pound bag of Totally Ferret ferret food just $17.99, including shipping
anywhere in the continental US!  Shelters and Breeders contact us if you
would like to become dealers!

Ask us about the Diplo-Mat - the only sure protection against carpet
diggers!  Only a few left in stock before the manufacturer's price increase.

Only the Best for Our Little Buddies!