From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 18:33:05 -0500
Waterbeds:

We too have found that ferrets and water matresses don't mix.  Ferrets love
to chew.  Water matresses don't like to be chewed.  After patching our old
matress several times, we finally gave up; bought a new matress, AND a
quilted, zipper bag to put it in.  So far our Bud has not killed this new
matress.  The bag is a little expensive, but sure beats
replacing/mending/waking-up-sopping-wet from another water matress kill.

Wire Bottom Cages:

Wire is hard on the little guy's feet.  Although most of our cages are wire
bottomed, all have thick rugs covering the wire.  We use a lot of woven
rugs; available from our local Wal Mart for about $2.00.  Washable, cage
size, cheap enough to toss when they get worn or frayed.

Scoopable litter:

What can I say?  We've used it for years with no problems - well, minor
problems.  A few thought it was great to dig in, but we just took out the
litter and put in paper towels until they figured out what the litter box
was for.  Then, when we put the litter back in, they used it for its
intended purpose.  All in all we've had over 300 ferrets in the shelter, on
the scoopable litter.  Being ferrets, they do drag their butts after litter
box use, but use the rug outside the box (see above).  We typically use the
dust free, no-track.  It's easy to clean and controls the odor.  No litter
related health problems at all.

Dick B.