Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2008 10:54:43 -0600
It was wonderful to be home with the little ones for the holiday though
I'm not sure they felt the same. I think they are sick of cuddles,
hugs, and being smothered in kisses. They ate a ton of recipe and did
enjoy the all day recipe fest. :-)

It is good to know that the giving tree not being updated didn't have
anything to do with Kris and family being sick or injured.

I know who the anonymous poster is and that person bought gifts for 25
ferrets on the giving trees before Christmas. I did the same. I know
others that took multiple ferrets without choosing to be their Santa as
well and know some ferrets got duplicate ferrets because the stockings
were not put up for a period of time. That anon post wasn't about Kris,
it was about the giving tree and it being too much for one person to
keep up with. Some jobs grow to be too large for one person. When that
happens one could ask for help or accept it when it is offered. There
are others that want to help too, why not give them the opportunity to
do so? It's not taking away from the original intent, but magnifying
it.

I was sadly disappointed the week before Christmas that the tree wasn't
updated, it was a tremendous let down for me. For many that watch the
trees, that is the time we send out last minute gifts to those that
didn't get santas so they will at least get something. I chose three
ferrets to be santa to and they didn't receive the stockings till a
week later. My last package was sent out 12/24. I got delivery
confirmation on my packages so I could make sure they were received.

When Kris posted after Christmas for all of us to get busy picking
ferrets, I wondered how many ferrets got multiple santas because the
trees had not been updated, and how many didn't get any. I'm not
slamming Kris for not updating the tree, only making an observation,
but I'm sure this will be perceived as slamming by some. The key word
here is perception. Again, this post isn't about Kris, it is about the
ferrets and the giving trees.

When 'having a life' is mentioned as a reason for not doing something
ferret related it stirs the kettle in me. What is life? Is not sitting
in front of the tv, eating with family, going to work, doing housework,
relaxing, playing, responsibilities, volunteering, sleeping, etc. not
all part of life? Life is not one thing, it is all combined.

I do know what it is to be busy. I work full time and part-time, 6 days
a week, take care of my fuzzy group (clean, cook, medicate, supportive
care, play, groom, vet trips, cuddle, love), clean my house, take out
our trash, cook my meals, take care of ferret related issues in my area
and help elsewhere as well. My day starts at 5 a.m. and seems to never
end though I do try to get to sleep by midnight when I can. I enjoy
what I do and I consider it my life, all of it, not just certain
aspects of it.

The giving tree is a glimmer of hope that some humans are kind
compassionate and loving, a time when, after all the pain and suffering
shelter caretakers see in their little charges, their spirits can be
renewed. For shelter caretakers, it is important that their little
charges have santas.

As for Thanks, I think the most heartwarming part of thank you's is
hearing how much the little ones enjoyed their gifts. I can't speak for
others, but for me, it doesn't need to be a personal thank you, a note
on the fml telling how the ferrets reacted is enjoyed. I must admit
that I've often thought how much nicer it is when someone says thank
you. I was brought up to say please and thank you and that has carried
over far into my life. It's like a smile, when you smile at a stranger
it often takes them by surprise and it makes them feel just a little
brighter for the moment. Go ahead, try it today. Life is difficult
enough on it's own and a smile goes a very long way.

So if you've managed to read down this far, Shelter caretakers, please
post on the fml how the ferrets reacted to their gifts for all of us
to enjoy.

Warm hugs to all. tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org
www.iGive.com/FFS