Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:14:59 -0400
Jason,

You mention a number of different conditions your little guy is dealing
with. I think it might be helpful to separate the different things,
that is, compartmentalize the various symptoms, to help sort through
them.

I'm wondering whether the slight head tilt, subsequent Petite Mal
seizures, and disturbed gait might all be the result of either
birth injury, or injury early in life??? In other words he may be
a physically-handicapped fuzzy, much as a human with cerebral palsy.
Has he received treatment for the seizures?

I think most on this forum would agree that hind-end weakness has
numerous causes but is a hallmark of generalized malaise. Given he
already has a predisposed central nervous system weakness, it would
make sense that when he does not feel well, hind-end weakness would
be exaggerated, more pronounced in his case.

I'd like to address the inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). You mention
that your fuzzy was treated for (IBD). However, my understanding is
that this is a chronic condition that does flare up from time to time.
Its never really cured, but can be managed with ongoing monitoring.
Stools normal you say yet he grinds his teeth from time to time? Teeth
grinding is a pain response to gastrointestinal discomfort, which is
consistent with IBD. It can be a sign of nausea as well, but most often
occurs with 'gut pain.'

It would appear that at the very least your little guy is having
occasional recurring bouts of acute IBD - even though his stools appear
normal. I'm wondering what the treatment was for the IBD in the past,
and whether it might be appropriate to do another round of treatment,
since you described that "He eventually became very bright eyed, very
much his old self." Veterinary care can be expensive for our darling
fuzzbutts, but maybe a consultation with your veterinarian to put your
mind at ease might be worth the investment.

In terms of being less active/playful, that is quite normal for this
species at this time of year, as it is with their weasel brethren
(Mustelidae). Its a normal seasonal response, as is shedding and weight
gain. So its normal for him to be less active this time of year, even
if he were Super FuZZ. All 5 of mine started getting considerably less
active overall as the days got progressively shorter.

"...he does get up and move around on his own, and climb things from
time to time, and there are moments when he's completely himself and
seeks me out to cuddle with me."

It sounds to me like he has a wonderful quality of life with a caring
and committed ferret parent. Lucky little fuzzbutt indeed!

Tressie A. Dutchyn, MA
ID PhD student, Dalhousie University

Research Associate
Atlantic Interdisciplinary Research Network for Social & Behavioral
Issues Hepatitis C & HIV/AIDS
Department of Community Health & Epidemiology
Faculty of Medicine
Dalhousie University