From:
FerretMomJC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:29:25 -0700
good ferret mom - we've e-mailed many times and if I were closer, I'd
adopt to you in a heartbeat!)

Keep in mind that I'm a shelter Mom.  I've also volunteered in shelters
other than my own.

I've noticed that in general, within the animal rescue population of
humans in particular, that there seems to be more than a good share of
folks that just seem to get along better with animals than they do with
people.  You can see that they know what they're doing as far as the
animals in their care, but they are lacking in people skills and are
often very cynical about the people they get their surrenders from or
those who wish to adopt.

In some cases, I have experienced 1st hand shelter operators who flat
out should NOT be the ones who work with the volunteers, the people
surrendering animals, the potential adopters or potential donors to the
shelter!  They're great with hands-on animal care but absolutely terrible
at communicating with other humans.  The result is volunteers who give
up coming into the shelter to help, potential adopters who might be
perfectly capable of providing wonderful homes to ferrets leaving with
a terrible experience and would-be donors who decide to give their money
to someone who is able to articulate the shelter needs, account for where
the funds go & show appreciation for every single gift, regardless of
size.

You can't be great at everything - and if you have an area of weakness,
in the best interest of the ferrets, it might just be good to let
trusted friends/volunteers act as your "public face".  To interact with
volunteers with detailed training and express thanks for every moment
they give to the shelter, to screen potential adopters and to help raise
funds.

Somehow I managed to be a ferret shelter mom and have decent people
skills.  I'm in sales - I know how to communicate, praise and motivate
others.  But I can also tell you, I've sometimes been guilty of trying
to do too much and letting a "Thank You" slip through the cracks or
getting frustrated with someone who clearly had not yet educated
themselves about ferrets, rather considering it an opportunity for the
education to begin with me.  That's MY signal that I'm in a little over
my head and time to start soliciting for some volunteers.......who will
be treated like royalty!!

Just my 2 cents as I can see it a little bit from both sides.

Jerri Carel
The Ferret Haven
Louisville, KY