Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:55:48 +0800
The first ferret I owned was also the first ferret I saw (or remember
seeing).  My ex-boyfriend had always wanted one, and since he had
stricter parents than me, he figured it would have to live at my house.

I remember saying no...and something about them being smelly, biting,
wild animals, but when we went to the local animal shelter, and I saw him
in a tiny guinea pig cage, looking so upset at losing his family: how
could I say no.

He was already named Springer, and had been handed in because his
previous owner could only afford to de-sex his 2 brothers, and not him.

I did a bit of research (not nearly enough!) and decided they could be
cool pets, so back to the shelter I went :)

Well, none of the web sites or books I read ever mentioned the huge
claws, teeth, and undying desire to not be locked in a cardboard box!
Driving home with him in the passenger seat, I nearly had several
accidents, as I watched this crazy animal try to chew his way to freedom!

Just as I got home, swerved into the driveway and leapt from the car, he
managed to escape his cardboard confines.  Needless to say, I didn't go
near him until he was safely locked away, and until I had finished
screaming!

I soon worked out, though, that he wasn't a blood sucking monster.
Although he was very independent, and not always affectionate, I knew he
loved me.

He lived in a cage in our garage for all of 2 days.  After that, I didn't
have the heart to put him outside in the cold, all alone.  He got run of
my room, and then eventually the whole house, but his favourite spot in
the world, was sleeping behind my knees in bed at night.

shona