From:
Alice Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:57:50 EDT
Fannie is a Path Valley ferret and is 3 1/2.  She has a very high energy
level but isn't squirmy when being held and she kisses me more than Farrah
does.  Like others on the List, she, too, isn't always in synch with the
seasons.  Occasionally her right eye gets watery.  She is sensitive to her
inoculations and has to have shots separated.

Fannie is deaf.  She bites visitors.  She does not have the reassurance of
hearing them speaking softly and thinks she needs to let them know she can
bite.  Even though Fannie is having fun, I resent the breeding mistake that
made her deaf.  She misses out on the good sounds of life.  I don't feel
the deafness was intentional and hope Path Valley didn't care more about
producing a pretty blaze and bib than trying to insure the ability to hear.

When Fannie was a young kit, she displayed a strong urge to suckle and
worked at Farrah's ears for the longest time.  Farrah hissed at her to get
her to stop but, of course, Fannie didn't hear the hissing.  By the way,
Farrah's patience with this crazy new kit was amazing.

Fannie steals slippers and drain covers and hides tiny amounts of food, all
in a running pace.  When she and Farrah eat bananas together, she will
often try to take a piece from Farrah's mouth.  Again, Farrah is totally
patient.  Fannie does fairly well using the litter box.

I don't know what picture this gives you of my Path Valley baby, as I
haven't covered everything.  We love Fannie and thank Path Valley for her
but would also urge them to be more careful in their breeding practices.
Hearing is important.

Alice