Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:09:46 -0800
Hi, all-

It's been a very busy week here for us!

I met a little guy coming across the Bridge.  His name in life was Bilbo,
but here in the Afterworld, he wants to be known as Bilbo, Master of
Cats.  No problem!  But I didn't have the heart to tell him that we
already have more than a thousand guys here who wish to be known as
"Master of Cats"!

His Brothers in Fur Storm and Spunky assure me that Bilbo really did have
a way with cats, it's not just ego on his part.  Storm and Spunky waited
for Bilbo with me.  They told me about the adventures they had as part
of the Merry Crew of Mayhem, their Mommy Rebecca's Business.  There was a
*lot* of love in their home!

Well, Bilbo has his tail again, it's very long and straight and good.  He
can also see again, as well as when he was a kit!  Bilbo, Master of Cats,
Storm ,and Spunky all strapped on their wings, and headed off overhead to
the Chicken Gravy Pool that bubbles from beneath a pink and gray granite
boulder in the forest.  It's very quiet there, and still beneath the
trees.  I wished that I could have joined them, but I knew that they were
going to meet with the entire Merry Mayhem Crew for a sort of private
party, and I wanted to give them their privacy!

I met two little guys who came across the Bridge at almost the same time,
Bay and Storm.  I had new hammies for them, also wings and a little mouse
for Bay, and a knotted up sock for Storm.  The mouse and the sock had
been their favourite toys in the World of the Living.  Of course, they
have these things with them here, now, too!

Their Business was waiting for them with me, EZ, Draco, DW, and Snapper.
Well, the six of them had a really loud and rowdy greeting, to say the
least!  There was wardancing and dooking and sniffing and popping!  The
grass wound up all crushed beneath their feet.  Some paws even got
stained green from all the commotion!

We all went to where the Business has been hanging their hammies for
quite some time, virtually within sight of the Fruit Bar!  Bay and Storm
got their gear stowed away (except for the mouse, Bay doesn't go anywhere
without the mouse) and they all commenced to feast!  There were wonderful
things to eat!  Watermelon, honeydew chunks, rasins, prunes, apple
slices, and even spiced apple rings!

We gorged until our bellies were round and hard, then we all lay down in
the soft grass for a blissful long nap!  What a marvelous afternoon that
was!

I also greeted a little guy that I was kind of worried about.  His name
was Mickey, and his Brother and Sister in Fur waited for him with me.
Oh, Mickey was certainly restored to his full vitality, but over the next
few days...I don't know.  He just seemed too quiet, too sad.  Nobody
could tell what was wrong, and Mickey wouldn't say.  I'm not even sure
that he knew what was wrong.  I decided to keep him close to me for a
few days, and I am so glad that I did, because something wonderful
happened...

It all started when a little guy named Blaze came across the Bridge.  His
Business was waiting for him, Nobleman, (who had waited for two years),
Frolic, Sterling, Pepsi, Big Fun, and Rinkydink.

Well, they had a very happy greeting.  Lots of nose touching and
nuzzling!  Blaze was so happy and excited to see all of his Brothers and
Sisters in Fur, especially Nobleman!

Afterwards, Blaze came up to me and made a very unusual request.  I've
only seen something like this happen one other time, and that was long
ago.  Blaze wanted to spend his time in the Afterworld as the most
beautiful thing that he could think of.  A butterfly?  Nope.  A peacock?
Nope.  A big orange and white ornamental koi fish with whiskers from
Japan?  Nope.

All he wanted was to be a firefly, a little flying star with wings in the
night sky.  He asked if I could arrange that with the Big Boss.

Well, we were all really surprised by this, but I said that sure, I'd go
ask the Big Boss.  The Big Boss said yes, Blaze could be a firefly, but
he'd have to be one in the plant and insect Afterworld.  There are no
insects, here.  If he ever got tired of being a firefly, however, he was
welcome to come back here and be a ferret with us.

Mickey had been standing not too far away throughout this whole
negotiation.  Remember that I said I was keeping him close?  Well, after
the Big Boss said what he did there was a big commotion.  Everyone was
talking at once!  I saw Mickey walk up to Blaze and speak to him, but I
wasn't paying too much attention, I was trying to quiet folks down.

Finally I could hear myself think again, and Blaze called over to me "Can
Mickey come be a firefly, too?"  Well, that reduced everyone to silence.
*Nothing* like that had ever happened before!  Mickey looked at me with
hope and expectation shining in his eyes.  "They are so beautiful" he
said quietly.  I'd never seen his look so alive!  "Please ask", said
Blaze.

Well, I took a deep breath and went to talk to the Big Boss again.

If you ever travel to the plant and insect Afterworld, you might notice
that among all of the greens, all of the rustling grasses and prickly
cactus pads and the roar of crickets, there are two twinkling points of
light.  Their jewel like abdomens emit a warm, yellow glow.  They signal
to one another, and they are never far apart.  Blink,Blink!  Blink,Blink!
Sometimes they fly through the warm, humid night and light upon the same
shiny broad bananna leaf.  Sometimes they fly in dizzying circles with
others of their kind, shining their little beacons beneath the dark
canopy of the pines.  They are never, ever alone.  They have each other.

Sandee