From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 08:40:14 -0500
As a former Emergency Medical Technician I would like to add my 2 cents on
people transporting their pets in vehicles.

ALL of your pets should be secured in the vehicle.  If you are in an
accident and are knocked unconscious, and you have a loose ferret, cat, dog
in the car, what is going to happen to them?  Lots of times, they get out
of the car, sometimes dogs become very "possessive" over their owners.
Remember, the animal was just traumatized too.  Sometimes we would have to
call in Animal Control to remove the dog.  For larger dogs, they do make
harnesses that attach to your seatbelts.

Regarding cats, ferrets & other little guys.  Put them in a carrier.  On
the carrier, put your name, address VETERINARY phone number and address.
Remember, if you are unavailable to tell the EMTS, how are they going to
know where to take them?

Also, we here in FFZ MA (can't wait till March 7th), the authorities see a
"ferret" I'd suggest writing right on the carrier, "This is a Domestic Pet".
A lot of people really don't know ferrets.

Many accidents are caused by drivers that have loose pets in their cars.
They do get underfoot.  Your life could change in an instant.  Also, we've
all seen people who drive with their pets on their lap?  Well, guess what
happens when you hit something, your pet gets squished between you and the
steering wheel.  Not a pretty sight.

Take care everyone, please remember get there safely but travel save too.

Happy ferreting,