From:
Robert Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:01:54 -0400
I recently was given a young male ferret that is aged about 19 months.
He is a really sweet guy and has a great personality, but unfortunately
the person who had him before me never bothered with litter training.

I've had four ferrets over the past decade and have a pretty good
understanding of how to litter train a younger ferret but have never
had to work with litter training an older ferret.

He is doing pretty good using the litter box in his cage though he
frequently urinates just outside of the litter box. When he had free
play inside the house he has a couple of spots he 'likes' but he is
so dang sneaky I cannot ever catch him in the act to show him where
he should be going. One of the spots is in a place where it is just
impractical to put a litter box (right outside the shower, where you
would naturally step).

So, I am fishing for a bit of advice on how to convince this little
booger to go to the john just a few feet to the left. Today I am going
to try putting a dish of food in 'his spot' and that will hopefully
convince him that it is a food spot, not a bathroom.

Thanks!

--
Robert Gibson