From:
Ariel White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 15:51:13 -0700
Can't resist... gotta add my 2 cents worth.

First, I can't see what the big deal is.  We need ethical breeders, and we
need dedicated shelters.  We need *both*, folks.

If there is one, the overpopulation problem doesn't rest on the heads of the
small breeders, but on the large businesses like MF.  If we complain about
how MF breeds their stock (which we all do), then we should adopt rescues or
buy from ethical breeders!!!  If caring people stopped breeding healthy
ferrets, then we would all be buying ferret-mill early alters (or adopting
the many sick rescues) and we would all be miserable, not to mention so
would the ferrets.  Those people who will not support large ferret mills
need a place to get kits, or to recommend to those who want only kits.

I can't imagine any ethical breeder breeding their rescues!!  As a matter of
fact, Tracy said she didn't.  If they are breeding to provide the best
animal they can, why would they breed into their bloodlines an unknown
genetic code?  Even if they're breeding purely for color or temperment,
they still won't breed an unknown rescues.  Rescues get altered.

We all know there are exceptions to every rule, which means unethical
breeders, etc., but we aren't dealing with them here, and we can't make new
rules based on exceptions.  The breeders and shelter operators on this list
have shown themselves to me to be concerned about their ferrets diet,
welfare, health and the homes they go to, regardless of whether they were
born in their care or were dropped off there to be adopted.  I would have to
say, then, that the emotional reaction seems to be unwarranted and overdone.
Inflamed generalties only serve to provoke arguments and heat up tempers.
If a caring breeder cares enough to take in unwanted ferrets and find good
homes for them, it only shows me that he/she is concerned about the ferret
first, and the money second.

Ariel
 "Small is the number of them that see with their own eyes, and feel with
 their own hearts."      -Albert Einstein

 Ariel White                                      [log in to unmask]