From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 19:49:17 -0500
>My psychology professor insists that animals (even mammals) don't have
>the capacity to have emotions.

I used to know a prof who would (very convincingly on the surface) insist
that Queen Elizabeth I had actually been a man, not because he actually
thought she was a man, but because he was tired of students (especially
freshmen, but also too common in many undergrads) who would not question
things and come up with intelligent objections.  Maybe your prof just would
appreciate it if the people in his class engaged in a bit of intellectual
dialog rather than spending an hour on sponge impressions?  Independent
thought is one of the better indicators of who may be compatible with grad
school.  BTW, being receptive to independent thought on the parts of the
students is a fine indicator of which profs may be the best, in my opinion--
then again, I also hold those in high regard who assign many essays (a fine
way to respect a student's opinions) and take the time for group chats
(ditto).  Some folks may think my opinions or preferences (or both) stink.

Sandi,  Has the kit with failure to thrive been aged by dental eruption?
(Obviously, because size and what pet stores say are NOT reliable
indicators of age.)  Since so many breeders now use tattoos for internal
markers it's sometimes NOT possible to tell a breeder from the tattoo (nor
from the lack of same) so it might pay to find out from the manager what
farm was used by Petco for the two kits mentioned, location, distributor,
and when applicable the importer.  Remember last year when one pet chain
had kits who seemed to be possibly more of fur fitch stock which had been
imported and had marked tendencies toward severe health problems?  There
were two humane groups going after that importer but so many animal cases
are state by state that companies often just change location when facing a
suit.  Do not know what happened in that particular case.

Got a new refrigerator and built cage for bottom of same -- 1/2" by 1"
actual caging, attached to the legs of the fridge (want to find hooks to
use for this since that will be easier for maintenance).

FOR RELIABLE HEALTH INFORMATION GO TO:
http://www.ferretcentral.org
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html

Barbara, have you EVER gotten an actual CHECK from igive or only promises?
Has anyone here gotten an ACTUAL CHECK from that company?  I'm very curious.

One of our original reasons for switching to Feline Pine was that we also
had a ferret who would get pieces of clay litter in her anus and vagina.

There's a hypothesis that primate troops have their rest times better
synchronized by yawning.  Why ferret yawns don't get you I'd guess would
have to do with you who tend to consider blood relations and who not.  Have
you ever noticed that some members of Carnivora when in deep sleeps get
specific sleep smells that can make some people sleepy?  Put a sleeping
ferret next to Steve when he's nervous and can't get shut-eye and he'll
conk off in 5 minutes!  He's the one who pointed out the bakery smell to
me -- check out their bellies and paw pads when deeply sleeping.

Sukie