From:
Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 21:21:04 -0400
Thanks to those who have been inquiring.  We are doing ok.  As you all read
this our little Feather will be in surgery for right side adrenal
(Wednesday).  Those regular readers might remember that Feather an abandoned
3-4 yr.  female was found weighing in at MAYBE 6 ozs.  She was covered with
fleas and severely anemic.  She had little hair.  Well we have seen wonders
happen in the past few weeks.  We now know that Feather is a dark brown
sable ferret as much color has returned.  Her nose and pads are now pink
after vitamin therapy.  We are all saying prayers that she will return to
the shelter following her surgery date.

"Brownie" arrive the morning of Sept.  7th, another abandoned ferret ( he
like Feather were never sought though adds were run and the local shelter
was informed in case owners tired to locate them).  4 yrs.  old and a lovely
big boy, he had a bite wound ( dog) to his rear quarters.  This kid was
lucky as the bite just missed the spinal cord and exited on the rear right
thigh.  He has a nasty amount of scar tissue, but is healing well and eating
and playing just fine.  We are hopeful that we have a successful foster
family for him after he receives vaccinations.

Little Pocohontas who had surgery a week ago is faring well.  She is eating
and playing though she has lost the use of her hind quarters.  It seems
though we removed the poly cystic kidney and spared her life the already
weakened condition of her rear quarters has increased to the degree that she
must drag herself around.  We are hopeful that we will be able to find or
have a cart made for this 2# cutie who is 6 years old, so that she can again
enjoy quality time racing through Pam and Frank's ( her caretakers) home.

We have had several adoption inquiries of late and hope that some of the 22
remaining in the shelter will soon have a new home.  We also have 6 in foster
care awaiting arrival at the shelter once there is room.

As shelter Mom I would like to extend sincere thanks to Troy Lynn for
sending a donation of food for our kids and to Marie Schatz who sent a gift
box with treats- ferretone, ferret bites, Iams and other foods, ear wash,
cat a lax and a great play toy.  They kids are enjoying the treats and toy
and especially the box with papers!!  You are so wonderful to think of "our"
kids -- for they belong to all of us who care.

In the near future -- Ferret Wise will become a specialized shelter, serving
those critical care, rehabilitation and extended care patients.  Your
support since our beginning, in January 95 ,has helped us reach this goal.
Our medical treatment room is slowly evolving and getting more use as weeks
go by.  We have rehabilitated 4 ferret patients who entered the shelter
unable to walk to having near normal use of their limbs with the massage,
whirlpool and range of motion programs.

Ferret Wise will continue to carry forward with outreach education projects
for the community and for humane shelters in addition to the critical care,
and rehabilitation projects.  The shelter is also working with the area
animal abuse investigator for residents who have come from demonstrated
neglect and abuse situations.

Ferret Wise Shelter will be presenting a seminar for the NH Humane and SPCA
shelters on Ferret Care and shelter processing on Sept. 25th, at the NH
Federation of Humane Org. meeting.  We hope to help the ferrets of NH by
supplying pertinent information and with hands on demonstrations to shelter
personnel.

Last but not least we are trying to engage a vet for the 3rd Annual Fall
Rabies clinic.  We will update you when this has been arranged.  Thanks
again for your support as we help the tri-state (NH, MA & VT) ferrets.

Alicia the shelter Mom
(Hope this post wasn't too long!)