From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 00:21:39 -0500
Lisa Goggins <[log in to unmask]> mumbled something about:
>Like for one I will have to confront him on the fact that he mixed
>Otis's pred with karo syrup and two that he told me to give Otis alot
>of Nutrical.  I have read everywhere that this is totally bad...

Uh, Lisa, what type of people were writing about this being a *bad* thing?
First, sugar levels that low can be dangerous (though I've been told that
seizing usually occurs closer to 20, rather then 37) to the ferret.  Karo
syrup is one of the best things any vet I've talked with can think of to
quickly bring the sugar levels back up.

Giving Prednisone (recommend Pediapred, as it doesn't have alcohol in it)
with it shouldn't hurt anything at all.  The prednisone counteracts the
excess insulin in the bloodstream.  The excess insulin removes too much
sugar from the system, causing extreme weakness in your ferret.  The
counteracting of the insulin, along with the introduction of the syrup to
raise the blood sugar is exactly what you are looking for.

The Nutrical (until you find the best dosage of pred to administer) will
provide enough sugars and energy (if given often enough) to keep him from
going into seizures and suffering from extreme lethargy.  This can also
help to restore lost weigh and give his body the energy to operate at a
functioning level.  Once you've discovered the proper dosage to keep his
sugar level where it should be, without over-doing it, then you can cut
the Nutrical (I prefer FerretVite) down to normal doses (about 1/2
teaspoon once or twice per day) to keep his energy up, while giving
nutrition-intense food to provide enough long-term energy for his high
metabolism.

To recap: Karo and Nutrical, along with the Pediapred = good.  Reading
websites from people who are NOT vets = possible mis-information.

If you want correct veterinary advice, I suggest you ask a veterinarian.
Lots of people have opinions.  Trained professionals tend to know more
about their fields, however, than those that are not professionals in that
field.  Not to say that professionals don't make mistakes, but would you
accept the advice of your neighbor who is a professional landscaper, how
to install a furnace, even though he just had one installed recently, or
do you think it would be wiser to ask an HVAC professional?

Just so you know I'm not blowing smoke up your chimney, I've got three
ferts with insulinoma.  All three are on varying doses of Pediapred, all
three get supplimental nutrition (two get FerretVite, the other gets
Ferretone) and all three have recovered nicely thankyouverymuch.  All
three got a dose of Pediapred and Karo syrup when first diagnosed.  None
died as a result.

Ziggy now looks like the overhead view of a battleship as he maneuvers
across the floor.  The other two are more recent, but are showing signs of
a good recovery.  He was given 4 months to live.  That was 9 months ago.
He's still going strong--chased the cat around the kitchen this evening.
On top of insulinoma, he's also deaf, blind and is sniffer-challanged.
Always finds a litter box to do his business in.  Now *that* is a ferret
after my own heart!

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]