Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:26:32 -0800
TWIMC,*

I have read Sukie's post of the 22nd. This post is a summary of sorts
of the relationship between neutering and adrenal disease. I am
saddened with my understanding of the results so far of research into
malfunctions of the ferret's endocrine system, assuredly leading to
abnormal growths associated with the paired adrenal glands, one or
the other, yet rarely both.

What is the simplest explanation of Sukie's assertion that both young
and/or intact ferrets (intact in the sense that no organs have been
removed) have displayed symptoms of adrenal disease? When an intact
ferret displays these symptoms, then, without a doubt, symptoms must
be the result of another factor(s). It would seem quite likely that
youthful and intact ferrets have received or have developed an unknown
factor at birth or shortly thereafter. Heredity?

Speculation has it that immature gonadal tissue is not producing the
minimal pre-hormonal proteins required for completing the endocrine
system circuit. In addition the adrenal glands themselves are
incompletely developed in the kit and, in fact, may themselves be
malformed in some kits randomly while not in others.

I visualize a closed circle (circuit) of endocrine function. None of
the endocrine glands are sufficient unto themselves for optimum health
of the organism. The output of the contributing glands are intimately
related one to another, some regulating the output of others and some
maintaining a switching of yet others. The complexity of the endocrine
system, although self-regulating, can go easily awry , can be upset, by
a lack of the required hormonal secretions into the circulatory system
when demand is levied upon it by sensitizing cursors within the
circuit.

To summarize these thoughts, consider the following:

1.) Not all endocrine glands are known functionally perfect at birth
    or thereafter.

2.) An abnormally developed endocrine gland most likely will engender
    the growth of cancer tissue.

3.) Absence of a required endocrine circuit hormone can produce
    unintended consequences.

4.) A malfunctioning adrenal gland will deleteriously affect the
    function of the reproductive system.

5.) The combination of elements of 4.) above may produce the same
    consequence as neutering, the Fatal Combo..

Edward Lipinski, concocter of LUMPS

 *To Whom It May Concern