Date:
Sat, 15 May 2010 18:25:58 -0700
I need to know how to mix a/d so a sick ferret will eat it.

I've written about Sprout before. He had lost weight (from 2 lbs 5
ounces to 1 lbs 13.5 ounces). Long story short after surgery which
showed he had ECE and we feed him 3 - 4 times a day with pureed chicken
we go his weight up to 2 obs 3 ounces. We backed down to feeding him
twice a day. He became more active and lost 1.5 ounces. We continued to
feed him twice a day but his weight dropped to 2 lbs even. We started
to feed him three times a day then up to 4 times a day again. He is
becoming less and less interested in eating. It is getting harder and
harder to get him to eat. I still see him eating some kibble here and
there.

We took him to our vet today and he has an area in his abdomen which is
very painful. Our vet wants us to bring him back next week (Monday or
Tuesday) so he can put him under anesthesia and do a needle biopsy.

I tried to mix his food with IAMs high calorie food but that didn't
increase his interest and seemed to be less interested in eating it. I
try and be insistent on him eating more but I don't want the feedings
to become stressful and cause him to stop eating completely. Next I
tried to mix his chicken with ensure, he did seem to eat more but the
ensure goes right through him and our vet advised us to stop using it.
Next I tried straight a/d mixed with water. It didn't mix well (not
homogeneous). I got him to take 10 - 15 mls and that was all he wanted.
Then I got some turkey baby food and he did eat that but it wasn't
easy.

I hear that a/d is like candy to ferrets but there must be a correct
way to mix it.

If anyone has suggestions please let me know asap so I can try it for
Sprout. He is getting weaker and I've getting very scared for him.

Thank you

Mike