From:
Richard Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:29:17 -0500
Betsy wondered if ferrets communicate with one another.  I don't wonder, I
know they do.  I just don't know how.  <G>

We have groups who don't get along with one another too.  One day Nala was
out playing and I offered her a treat.  Normally if they don't want what I
have to offer, they'll push it away with their noses, and I'll put it back.
This time Nala sniffed it, turned her back on me, and did a "flat ferret"
with her tail turned toward me.  To me it seemed like she was saying, "No, I
don't want that at all, but please offer me something else." I did.  She
took it and ran off to eat it in private.  I thought that was really funny.
I'd never even heard of another ferret doing that.

The next day, I had a different crew out.  Lowen was begging for a treat, so
I offered him a raisin.  He sniffed it, turned his back on me, and did a
"flat ferret", exactly like Nala had the day before!  There is a solid wall
between the area where this took place and the cages.  No way they could
have seen one another.

I also notice that when I let the crew of 13 out in the morning, they all go
their separate ways.  One or two always head up to the bedroom areas, where
the doors are usually closed.  If one finds an open door up there though, in
no time all 13 are upstairs and in there.

Dick B.