From:
Holly DiMeglio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:30:16 -0800
I work with neglected and abused children.  I wish half the caring and
love expressed for ferrets on this list went to the children I work with.
Our treatment towards animals is often a reflection for how we treat
people.

I found this posted at work the other day, it's a one day workshop, I
really hope I can go to it, I think it will be very interesting.
"Tragically, violence has become an increasing part of our communities.
It comes in many forms: child abuse and neglect, spouse/partner abuse,
abuse of the elderly or mentally disabled, violence against property,
including vandalism and racial or religious hate crimes.  Sometimes less
recognized, animal cruelty is one form of violence that is also present
in every community.  It is often an indicator or symptom of other forms
of violent behavior.  Half of the women seeking protection from domestic
violence have had a pet threatened or killed as one part of their abuse.
Pets are frequently the targets of cruelty in homes with physical or
sexual abuse of children.  Many of the most infamous violent criminals
of recent years had an early & often unrecognized history of extreme
cruelty to animals."

It goes on, but you get the idea.

I applaud people who completely open their hearts to animals and thereby
are very deeply saddened/hurt when they have lost a pet.  Anything to
support people who treat animals well and need help dealing with the
challenges of loving a pet, which includes death.  My friends all know
how I feel about my pets, but they still couldn't give me the support
I've needed when I've lost a ferret, but the FML did.  None of them have
been owned by a ferret.  I once had someone say to me, in a very negative
way, "you treat your animals better than lots of people treat their
children" my reply was, "then think how well I would treat my child."
Enough said.

Holly