From:
Heather Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 12:29:18 -0500
One question:

    Last week I requested a heartworm preventative from my vet.  He told me
that heartworm in ferrets is rare, just like heartworm in cats.  And, that
they (my fuzzies) only need to be put on preventative if they come down with
a case of heartworm.  This contradicts material I've read about maintaining
a healthy ferret, which states that along with yearly distemper & rabies
vaccines, they also need to be on some type of heartworm preventative.
Additionally, what good does it do to give them a PREVENTATIVE once they
have contracted heartworm?  Isn't a preventative supposed to help AVOID
heartworm?  Who is correct?

One comment:

    My fuzzies have a tendency to steal little items which my be harmful to
them and hide them in places unaccessable to humans.  We are usually very
good about keeping ferret-harming items out of their reach, but recently
discovered they took a silly little novelty item my mother brought us back
from Paris and hid it INSIDE our new couches.  Unfortunately, we probably
have to tear (literally) the couch open to get it out.  If not, they may eat
it, and it has that slimey soft plastic/rubbery stuff (like gummy bears) on
it that sticks to your refridgerator.  I'm sure the stuff is soft enough to
pass through even the tiniest of tracts, but I'm also sure it's probably
toxic as hell.  Hope at least one other person can learn from our experience
and not lose their new sofas to ferret secret treasure chests!