From:
David Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 10:53:34 -0400
It occurs to me that we might be able to get more mileage out of HSUS's
failure to include a ferret in their calendar than just a cute ferret
picture in next year's inducement to donate.

I'm going to write a letter to HSUS Senior Vice-President Wayne Pacelle
explaining how disappointed I was that HSUS failed to show a picture in
their calendar and asking if the reason is because HSUS is embarrassed
that it has failed to take on the California Department of Squish and
Maim --- I'm sorry, I mean, Fish and Game -- over the idiotic ferret ban.

As far as I know, HSUS, which has one of the largest legislative action
budgets of any animal protection organization in the world, hasn't gotten
involved in the California dispute.  And if they have and I don't know
it -- please do let me know -- but I'm sure Mr. Pacelle will gladly explain
this to me.  And I, naturally, will simply point out that if I don't know
about it, obviously they haven't done enough.  Either way, the bandits in
fuzz win.

If anyone else would like to join me in my sneaky little attempt to get
help for our oppressed friends in California, the contact information is:

Mr. Wayne Pacelle
Senior Vice President
The Humane Socity of the United States
2100 L St NW
Washington, DC 20037

Phone: (202) 778-6112

I happen to know Wayne slightly and suspect he would be sympathetic to the
cause.  I also know he is very influential in the allocation of HSUS's
rescources, which is why I would write him directly.  He's a good guy and
may just need his attention directed in the right direction.

Just an idea,
David