From:
Michel McDermott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:43:17 -0500
>I've been thinking about cremating the guys when they go on to the Rainbow
>Bridge and was wondering where it is done.  Is it done at the vet's or some
>other facility?  How much does it cost?

Laura, I've had all 5 ferrets cremated.  The first vet's office, that has
their own facility, was more expensive.  $45 for cremation, $15 to return
ashes, $14 for a small not-quite-so-nice urn brings the total to $74.  I
got to pick the urn out, but it's just a plain-jane black plastic urn.  I
don't really like it but haven't decided if I want to transfer Niki to a
nicer one.

The other vet's office, that I go to now, sends the animals out to a
facility and I get the ashes back a week later.  $50 covers everything.
They put the ashes in a metal tin that's painted nicely with flowers and
stuff.  But I don't get to choose the urn.  I also get a certificate that
states that my beloved pet was privately cremated on such-and-such a date.
"Please be assured that your pet was handled with the utmost respect and
dignity."  That alone means a lot to me.

Michel