From:
Peri Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:18:10 -0700
Well, it turns out I am NOT going to be adopting the little guy, although
I AM still taking him, at my expense, to get ADV tested tomorrow.  My
mother-in-law, widowed, living alone and a cancer survivor took one look
at "Jasper," and snatched him gently to her.  He reared back his head and
sniffed at her, and thoroughly burrowed himself into her arms.

Although I will not have him for my OWN, its not so bad ... my mom-in-law
is moving up to a guest house on our property next month (and I need to
keep him for her til the 24th of this month ... oh darn *GRIN!*) when she
gets back from a family wedding event.

So yes, I'm still payingfor ADV testing, and she knows that, if its
positive, she'll have to maintain STRICT quarrantine from my ferrets (and
my children), and understands all that entails.

I've got her adoption paperwork to turn in today (and our AAWL president
assured me its only a formality, since she trusts my judgement on this).
It really is amazing ... the AAWL here has NEVER had a ferret before;
my mother has been unable to tolerate ANY pet dander since she had
chemotherapy, yet "Jasper" causes her no problems, and both she and he
have had their share of tumors, and both are older but still quietly
active.  They were made for each other.

Here's the REALLY wierd part ... remember when I'd written about having
to name him before surgery?  I'd stared at him, and the names Jasper and
Tinker both lept to mind ... I chose Tinker because it was cuter.  Well,
I hadn't told anyone but you folks about that, but when mom asked if he
had a name, and I said "Tinker,", she said ... "Yes, but ... (and looked
at him) ... what about Jasper, instead?  That seems to suit him."  Spooky
stuff, folks!

She has never been on ANY mailing list before, but we're setting her up
on the FML tomorrow ... so be real nice to my mom-in-law ... `cause she's
my best friend, too!

((Hugs)) to you all ...

Peri