Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 14:54:49 -0700
We took to heart, a message awhile back that spoke of getting dirt for the
ferrets to dig in.....

A week ago, I saw a 19.5 inch diameter plastic pot with handles, about 20
inches deep, and I thought "Perfect for dirt digging" so it was purchased
and filled with fresh dirt, and packed tight with my considerable weight
walking upon it.....and left outside to dry.

Fast foreward now to a week later....(yesterday/Saturday..)  I am on call
for the day, so early in the am, I get this 'pot-o'-dirt' lugged inside.
Not a small task!  I don't know the weight of dirt, but I do not want any
sort of job that involves moving pots of dirt on a routine basis!!  I place
this pot of dirt in the ferrets wading pool (to contain the dirt spillage
(theoretically!)) and place a little step to facilitate entry to the
dirt.......and...... 'Let Loose The Herd!"

They had been watching with great anticipation from the cages, and tho
curious, approached tentatively....climbed up into the pot....and after
some hesitation, began digging!  I haven't seen them so excited since....
well the last time we did something crazy!  Maybe the snow in the swimming
pool?  Well, anyway I'm sure you all know how excited they can be!  There
were more bushy tailed, muddy nosed, dirty pawed dooking little fur rats
running about that room, than we've ever seen before!

Now I got called off to work, and didn't get home till 3:15am this morning,
and I peeked in the room, and there in the dim light was one ferret just
digging away....our deaf little girl....I turned the light up (to attract
her attention) and her front paws and face popped up....just as black as
can be!  (she's a champagne) and those beady little eyes were just
shining!!!

The room was something to see!  Dirt everywhere!!  That swimming pool
didn't contain anywhere near like I thought it would!  Thankful for a tiled
floor!  This morning, out came the broom....shop-vac...mop, and it is now
back to human standards of acceptability, which I'm sure is NOT the same as
a ferrets idea of fun!

Well, we shall be doing this again!  Got to get that dirt harder!  What I
thought was hard, they treated as soft butter!

Give it a try.....it's a riot!

Richard, Debra, and the 16 "Mud-Rats" of Yakima
Riki, Tiki, Tavi, Chuckles, Pansy, Clover, Rose, Jester, Joker, Lily,
Jasper, Jasmine, Dean, Martin, Casper, and Rex