From:
J Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:22:52 -0400
At 09:34 6/16/00 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>The article you quoted was actually on colloidal MINERALS, not
>colloidal SILVER, Mr. Killian.  Colloidal simply means "broken down
>into very small bits".  Colloidal silver and colloidal minerals are two
>different substances.

So called "colloidal silver" is a form of quackery which sells silver at
something close to $240,000 an ounce.  And it isn't even colloidal silver -
"broken down into very small bits" as you say - that they're selling.  It
is ionic (dissolved) silver stabilized in a solution containing sodium or
potassium citrate.  If you will read the claims made for this stuff
carefully you will find absolutely no verifiable references to controlled
studies of effectiveness done in living animals or people.  All the
verifiable references I've seen refer to tests done in glassware.  All the
claims of effectiveness are made based on these same in vitro studies and
if you read the claims very carefully and critically you probably won't
find any clear claim it is effective in vivo.  If they make such claims and
they come to the attention of the FDA, they have problems.  Using the same
in vitro methodology as applied to tests on the effectiveness of colloidal
silver would lead just as logically to recommending taking bleach to kill
unwanted organisms - obviously not a wise move.

--
Jim H