From:
Christine Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 08:55:50 EST
>How does anyone know other babies were not delievered to other pet stores
>>somewhere by the same method and in the same consition as the ones that
>>came to you.
>>Christine ~

>I ask the same question.  Isn't there a ferret-rights congress or some
>watch group to ask these questions?  If not can one be formed?  I know
>there are some of us who would like to work in the animal rights field
>for these little fuzzies.
>Warmly ~
>Mary

Hi Mary, yes there are watch groups and rights groups In NYC and the
area..  Some are great, I don't know if I can mention any names ( ok I
will, metroferret) and some are very bogged down in the personal politics
and ego agendas of the group leaders... thererby rendering them somewhat
ineffective.Something more centralized and co operative would be very
effective.  Working with rights is a tricky bussiness, leaders should be
both pro rescue/shelter/ anti abuse and very hands on.  They also need
to be able to deal with fund raising in an effective way and local
governents in a no nonsense way.  Many organizations actually hire
someone to see to all these details becasue it is a big hat to wear.
Ferrets are still a "cottage industry" when it comes to advocating for
them.  We all do what we can, but how many of us have seen real horrors
and not been able to truly change anything except on a case by case
basis.  Someone once said to me, how can you do this, it does not change
anything.My answer was that is changes everything for that particular
ferret.  That is wonderful, but in addition to changing everything for
that particular ferret more needs to be done in a centralized ,organized
way.  In unity there is power.

The farms that ship kits out should be made accountable to these watch
groups.  pet shops should be mandated to keep ferrets/kits under certain
conditions END OF STORY... and watch groups should monitor this to see
that it is being adhered to..private abusers/neglectors when discovered
should be legally handed out severe repercusions, and this should be
enforced by watchers ( legally)on a case by case basis.  end of story ,
no bull.  People who adopt/buy ferrets should be given a booklet on how
to care for them so they do not go into it ill informed .  It would
prevent a lot of dumping and mis treatment.  But someone has to see that
this is done on a mandated basis... you want to sell ferrets?  this is
what you MUST do.!

There is a lot that needs doing so the situation here changes.

Christine..  new address [log in to unmask]