From:
Celtic Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:58:20 -0500
>From:    Anne W <[log in to unmask]>
>
>My boy Ringo just had adrenal surgery (about a month ago).  He also
>had an insulinoma taken off his pancreas (same surgery), developed a
>cataract in one eye and something else wrong with the other eye, and
>is mostly deaf....
>
>The problem is his biting.  He's always had a tendency to chomp.
>He came from the shelter years ago as a problem biter.  Until just
>recently though, he seemed to have worked though most of his biting
>issues... He's also quit snuggling.  He still plays great (if a little
>enthusiastically) with the other boys.  He still checks in with me for
>treats and attention.  He just doesn't want hugs or scratches anymore
>and he now is biting to go for the bone.  It smarts a bit.

First go to the vet and check for bad teeth or other medical problems
that could be causing him pain.

The easiest way to pick up a biter is put one hand in as a fist and let
him smell it.  Cuts down on the painfulness of the bite if it is taken on
the back of the hand rather than on the fingers..  Reach in the second
hand as a fist and try and scruff him.

You could try retraining him.  Start with treats, probably olive oil or
ferretone since he is insulinomic.  Get his attention with the olive oil,
and try petting him.  When his behavior toward being petted works pick
him up in the other hand.  Try time outs in an empty carrier.  30 second
to a minute.  When its time to come out, more olivine oil.  If you can
hold him securely over your heart so he can feel the heartbeat, talk to
him and give him treats.

I don't know if at his age he would be up to a trip outside the home or
not.  If he is, put him in a harness and carry bag with bedding he can
hide under.  Don't let anyone touch or pet him.  Keep the olive oil with
you and give it as a treat.

I do wish he could hear so you could praise him for his good behavior