Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:58:27 -0800
We are also considering adding another dog to our house.  We already have
an 11 year old terrier who has mostly been outside until just recently.
Well, we have had our fertie for 3 years now and she thought the inside
of the house was hers!  Cricket, the terrier, is absolutely traumatized
by our little Chloe.  She (Chloe - ferret) doesn't want to hurt him but
it just drives the dog CRAZY when she sniffs around him or climbs on him
while he is resting.  Cricket is great with our outside cats but he was
bitten by a snake over the summer so this probably has something to do
with why he doesn't want to make friends with a tiny little fur-snake.
When Cricket is in and Chloe comes out of hiding we have to put her away
for the night.  They alternate nights of house freedom.  I do think it
will be best for us though if we get a puppy next so it will grow up
knowing the ferret is a friend and also not a snack.  You just never know
how a grown shelter dog was raised, whether they are used to cats or other
little animals or not.  We did get our Cricket as a puppy, at a shelter,
so that is still helping the homeless babies.

If you must get a grown dog you might try using door gates and keeping
them, securely, in adjoining rooms for sometime.  This way they can get
used to the scents and each other being around without being overly
stressed.  If the dog proves trustworthy you might try then keeping them
in the same room with the ferrets safely in their cage and the dog in the
room (as long as the dog is not too strong).  Of course you would want to
observe them and intercede as needed.  Even later, while seated one person
gets to hold the dog on a leash and another person holds the ferties
securely while you calmly praise all animals and slowly and carefully move
them closer and closer until they can sniff each other.  Then you should
be able to figure out the rest.  This is how our dogs got to know, respect
and honor the cats.

Sorry though, it just hasn't worked with Cricket and Chloe, but I
explained that above.  Good luck on whatever you decide.

Keron H.
Dogs, horses, cows, ferret, fish, snails and chickens!!
Rainbow Bridge - Rebel goat and Bocephus dog